I currently work for Faithlife as the editor of Bible Study Magazine. Faithlife’s mission is to use technology to equip the church to grow in the light of the Bible; I contribute to that mission by writing many, many articles for the company and doing other stuff I feel grateful to the Lord for allowing me to do.
My most recent book is Authorized: The Use and Misuse of the King James Bible, which comes “highly recommended” by D.A. Carson-and has an accompanying Faithlife documentary.
I attended Mount Calvary Baptist Church for 18 years while in Greenville, SC, and I “pastored” an outreach congregation there Sunday mornings for the last (almost) six of those years. Now my family attends Cornerstone Baptist Church of Anacortes, Washington, where I serve as an assistant pastor, Sunday school teacher, music director, and occasional pulpit supply.
I am also the organizer/president/lackey of the Bible Faculty Summit, a small annual colloquium for biblical scholars who hail from the same sliver of American Protestantism I do.
About the Blog
“By Faith We Understand” (why the name?) exists to glorify God by stirring up my readership-theologically thoughtful conservative Christians-to love and good works. I like to review books. I like to write about apologetics a bit, about language and the KJV a lot, about any blog-length thought that I myself want to access later. If you want a good flavor of what I like to write about, here are three posts that might do the trick:
About the YOUTUBING
I took the opportunity afforded by COVID to jump into something I’ve long felt I could do for the church: YouTubing. Most of the energies I used to devote to blogging—and more—are now devoted to my YouTube channel. If you like what you read here, you may want to check me out there.
A FEW MORE TIDBITS
- I got to know my lovely wife in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, and Lithuania on the 2006 Musical Mission Team.
- On March 3, 2010, our family increased by 50%.
- On October 26, 2011, our family increased again by 33⅓%.
- On September 2, 2014, our family increased again by 25%.
- My interests include reading, hermeneutics, textual criticism, epistemology, technology, biblical theology, language, Stanley Fish, a cappella choral music, barbershop, and ultimate frisbee once a week (I’m a handler, and there’s nothing like a huck that hits your receiver in stride for a score, or a curving flick that goes out of bounds and back in, hitting your receiver in the end zone at just the spot where he is running flat-out).
- I used to do a fair bit of graphic design on the side as Forward Design, and I still do design sometimes because I can’t help it (websites and logos); I serve churches. I am interested in picking up hosting clients. For details, email me.