About the Blog
“By Faith We Understand” (why the name?) exists to glorify God by stirring up my readership—theologically thoughtful conservative Christians—to love and good works. I like to review books. I like to write about apologetics a bit, about language and the KJV a lot, about any blog-length thought that I myself want to access later. If you want a good flavor of what I like to write about, here are three posts that might do the trick:
I work as an Academic Editor at Lexham Press, a division of Faithlife, makers of Logos Bible Software. (That's my outward facing title, and it does reflect my work. But technically, I am a Content Strategist for the First Party Integration team in the Original Content department.) Faithlife's mission is to use technology to equip the church to grow in the light of the Bible; I contribute to that mission by writing many, many articles for the company and doing other stuff I feel grateful to the Lord for allowing me to do.
My most recent book is Authorized: The Use and Misuse of the King James Bible, which comes "highly recommended" by D.A. Carson—and has an accompanying Faithlife documentary.
I attended Mount Calvary Baptist Church for 18 years while in Greenville, SC, and I “pastored” an outreach congregation there Sunday mornings for the last (almost) six of those years. Now my family delights to attend Cornerstone Baptist Church of Anacortes, Washington, where I serve as deacon, music director, and occasional pulpit supply.
A few personal facts:
- I got to know my lovely wife in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, and Lithuania on the 2006 Musical Mission Team. We got married two years to the day after we left on that trip.
- On March 3, 2010, our family increased by 50%.
- On October 26, 2011, our family increased again by 33⅓%.
- On September 2, 2014, our family increased again by 25%.
- My interests include reading, hermeneutics, textual criticism, epistemology, technology, biblical theology, language, Stanley Fish, a cappella choral music, barbershop, and ultimate frisbee once a week (I’m a handler, and there's nothing a huck that hits your receiver in stride for a score, or a curving flick that goes out of bounds and back in, hitting your receiver in the end zone at just the spot where he is running flat-out).
- I used to do a fair bit of graphic design on the side as Forward Design, and I still do design sometimes because I can’t help it (websites and logos); I serve churches. I am interested in picking up hosting clients. For details, email me.