About the Blog
“By Faith We Understand” (why the name? what about the old name?) exists to glorify God by stirring up my readership—theologically thoughtful conservative Christians—to love and good works. I like to review books. I like to write about apologetics a bit, about language a lot, about any blog-length thought that I myself want to access later. If you want a good flavor of what I like to write about, here are three posts that might do the trick:
- The Proper order of Aesop’s Fables (theology)
- An Approximately 25-Year-Old Misunderstanding with 400-Year-Old Roots (KJV)
- Usage Determines Meaning (Applause Please) (linguistics)
I work for Faithlife as a Logos Pro, helping the church grow in the light of the Bible by writing many, many articles for the company.
I attended Mount Calvary Baptist Church for 18 years while in Greenville, and I “pastored” an outreach congregation there Sunday mornings for the last (almost) six of those years. Now my family delights to attend Cornerstone Baptist Church of Anacortes, Washington.
A few personal facts:
- I got to know my lovely wife in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, and Lithuania on the 2006 Musical Mission Team. We got married two years to the day after we left on that trip.
- On March 3, 2010, our family increased by 50%.
- On October 26, 2011, our family increased again by 33⅓%.
- On September 2, 2014, our family increased again by 25%.
- My interests include reading, hermeneutics, epistemology, technology, biblical theology, language, Stanley Fish, choral music, and a little ultimate frisbee when I can get it. (I’m a handler.)
- I used to do a fair bit of graphic design on the side as Forward Design, and I still do design sometimes because I can’t help it (websites and logos); I want to help churches. I am interested in picking up hosting clients. For details, email me.